XS Scuba Highland Surface Marker Buoy Review
One outstanding feature about any good surface marker buoy is its durability and resilience to tough conditions. The XS Scuba SMB is one that understands the importance of this need and thus has made a strong and very durable gear that can withstand harsh water conditions and the turbulence that comes with busy water surface. In this XS Scuba Highland SMB review, we will highlight the qualities and outstanding features of this great SMB.
To expound on the durability of the XS Scuba SMB, it is made of a durable urethane coated nylon gear. This is a high-grade fabric that has the reputation of withstanding rough water conditions. In dimension, this SMB measures some 6 inches (i.e. 1.83 meters) in length while having a circumference of 9 inches (i.e. 22.9 cm).
For clear visibility whether during a day or night-time dive, the XS Scuba is designed to be bright orange in color for good visibility when inflated on the surface. To pack it, you only need to roll it and stow it away in its own mesh bag which has a snap clip. The mesh bag is small and can be fitted securely into the pocket of a divers’ BCD. In size, it has a compact dimension of 5 inches by 3 inches (i.e. 12.7 x 7.6 cm). It can even be clipped to your gear for quick and easy access when needed.
To deploy, all a diver need to do is simply open the mesh bag drawstring closure and inflate the SMB with the custom easy-to-use oral inflator/deflator valve and clip safety tube to your gear. It is as easy as it is efficient in use. If you need to use your safety tube for low light or night diving environments safety tube comes equipped with stainless steel grommet at the top for attachment of a light.
Surface Marker Buoy is a requirement for all divers, chiefly because of the need to be safe than sorry. If you don’t dive with an SMB you need to start now. It makes sense to be safe. Highland by XS Scuba’s SMB is a big 10′ (3 meters) tall Buoy for superior visibility on the surface day or night. SMB has a wide 22 inches (56 cm) circumference giving it 75 lbs.
The Highland by XS Scuba’s SMB has multiple features for safety and versatility. Three Bands of 3M SOLAS” reflective tape, stainless steel D-Ring at the top for strobe light attachment and an elastic holder for a chemical light stick all to improve surface visibility day or night. Inflation of the SMB is made easy with the combination of oral and BCD quick-disconnect inflator valve.
The air will stay in the SMB with its anti-spill baffled bottom and over-pressurizing is never a problem with the built-in over pressure relief valve (OPV) with manual dump cord. If you find a treasure underwater that you need help getting to the surface, the 20″ (50.8 cm) long lift harness with stainless steel D-Ring with gives you the edge.
SMB: Urethane Coated Nylon, Grommets And D-Rings: Stainless Steel
Length: 10 Inches (3 Meters), Circumference: 22 Inches (56 Cm)
Orange and Yellow
Combination Oral And BC QD Inflator
75 lbs. (i.e. 19.43 kg)
Yes: D-Ring For Strobe, Elastic For Chemical Light Stick
- BIG 10′ (3 meters) Long with 22″ (56 cm) Circumference
- Large Enough to Greatly Enhance Diver Visibility
- Stows Compact Enough to Carry Easily on Every Dive
- 75 lbs (19.43 kg) of Surface Lift
- Baffled Bottom for Anti-Spill Inflation
- Combination Oral and BC QD Inflator
- Overpressure Relief Valve (OPV)
- 3 Bands of 3M “SOLAS” Reflective Tape for Improved Surface Visibility
- Stainless Steel D-Ring at Top for Strobe Light Attachment
- 20″ (50.8 cm) Long Lift Harness with Stainless Steel D-Ring
- Elastic Chemical Light Stick Holder at Top
- Includes 6.5″ X 12″ (16.5 x 30.5 cm) Mesh Carry Pouch
- Pouch Equipped with Grommets for Back-Plate Attachment
- Back-Plate Mounting Hardware Not Included
- Durable Urethane Coated Nylon Construction
- Available in Orange or Yellow Colors
back to menu ↑
Pros and Cons
- Large enough to enhance diver visibility
- Stows compactly to carry easily on every dive
- Combination oral and BC QD inflator
- Overpressure relief valve (OPV)
- Elastic chemical light stick holder at top
- May be too long to handle sometimes
To expound on the durability of the XS Scuba SMB, it is made of a durable urethane coated nylon gear. This is a high-grade fabric that has the reputation of withstanding rough water conditions.