Akona Quantum Stretch Scuba Diving Wetsuit Review
The Quantum Stretch is a standard wetsuit line from Akona, and the 7mm version is the thickest wetsuit version on that line. This makes the Quantum Stretch a super durable and highly insulated wetsuit that any scuba diver will hope to have. There is no mistaking its very distinctive look and feel due largely to the thickness and dexterity of this high-grade gear. In this Akona Quantum Stretch wetsuit review, we will be looking at the qualities that stand this great wetsuit out from others that are available on the market today.
Made from premium quality nylon weave and neoprene rubber, the 7 mm Quantum Stretch is a super durable and highly dynamic wetsuit version that has proven to be worth its salt in all areas and by every range of scuba divers. Designed with a sealed vertical zipper that runs upward at the back, it poses as a very easy to wear gear. You will also find the smooth-skin O-Ring that is positioned on the wrists and ankles very appealing and useful.
As the name implies, the super stretchy feature of the Akona Quantum has given it a very high mark by professional and recreational scuba divers because they find it very flexible and resourceful to use in any water condition. Now, add this to the flexible, stretchy and thickness features it has, it is still the most affordable thick wetsuit available on the market today. Then, you will agree that this is a wetsuit like no other.
Made entirely with a 7mm four-way super-stretch neoprene, this gear offers you an unrivalled level of comfort and insulation that keeps your body warm in cold water any day, anytime. To ensure that the frigid water of the freezing ocean does not impact you in any way, you have a double-assurance: it is glued and blind stitched inside and out. Then, the gear seal shut at the neck, wrist and ankle so there can be no infiltration of water.
There are different material type per wetsuit and each of these have their unique qualities that stand them out of the pack. For the Quantum Stretch wetsuit from Akona, it is the four-way stretch ability that it provides. This is clearly a major catalytic improvement on the popular one-way stretch laminated nylon materials that pervade a large percent of the wetsuits available today. So, divers who opt for the Akona Quantum Stretch are assured of an experience like no other.
This four-way stretch feature allows the suit to be capable of withstanding any condition that scuba divers may encounter while diving. It also boasts of a tightly knitted and custom made lamination system made the kit to be lightweight and comfortable.
For the zipper part of the suit, you are given a full-length Delrin zipper combined with #10 YKK marine-grade slider. Aside from being corrosion resistance, it is also very good for sealing out water from getting into the suit and causing much discomfort. The suit is also well graded with quality textured shoulder pads that give the security of non-wear or piling of the surface. By all standards, the Akona Quantum Stretch is a very good suit that deserves its place in the best scuba diving wetsuit list.
Nylon II Neoprene
Glued and Blind-Stitched
Rear Delrin Zipper, w/#10 YKK Marine-Grade Brass Zipper Slider and Pull Tab Leash
- Environmentally Friendly Neoprene Rubber Design
- Non-Petroleum-Based Neoprene
- Limestone Over 99.7% Calcium Base Neoprene
- Unique Lamination Process
- Nylon II Material
- Extraordinary Flexibility and Stretch Capabilities
- Nylon Weave Capable of Withstanding Harsh Elements of Diving
- Most Comfortable and Best Fitting Wetsuits In-Their-Class
- #10 YKK Marine-Grade Brass Zipper Slider
- Full-Length Delrin Back Zipper
- Zipper Pull Leash for Easy Self-Donning/Doffing
- Zipper Dam: “Skin-Out” for Added Seal and Reduced Water Flushing
- Durable Reinforced Laminated Knee Pads
- All Seams Glued and Blind Stitched for Strength & Durability
- Textured Shoulders: More Secure Fit of BCD, Prevent Piling of Shoulder Surfaces
- Available in Multiple Sizes
back to menu ↑
Pros and Cons
- 7mm neoprene thickness for warm water use
- Non-petroleum based neoprene construction
- Unique lamination process for durability
- Zipper and seals reduce water flushing
- Corrosion resistant zipper and sliders
- Considered to be too thick by some set of scuba divers
As the name implies, the super stretchy feature of the Akona Quantum has given it a very high mark by professional and recreational scuba divers because they find it very flexible and resourceful to use in any water condition.