Mares Dragon MRS Plus BCD Review
In this Mares Dragon review, we will be exploring the intricacies of this versatile BCD as it relates to divers experience and overall comfort and ease of use. The Mares Dragon comes with a jacket style BCD that is designed to help cut back drastically the drag that most divers experience when using a not-so-good buoyancy compensator. To achieve this, the Dragon places most of the air cell close to the tank so that the buoyancy is well tailored to the need of the diver.
The design of the air cell is as much a comfort assurance as it is an aid to better diving. The air cell is designed in a contour so as to drastically reduce any inhibition that divers may experience in their underarm area when using most type of BCD available today. The aim of this contoured air cell is to give the diver a highly comfortable flotation at any point in the dive. The air cell is made of the most durable of 420 Cordura denier for maximum confidence in the gear.
For its fabric, the Mares Dragon is made of a well-calculated combination of 3D Alutex net. This material is known to add a double layer of protection to the BCD while still maintaining the assurance of resistance to abrasion and tear. Further, the Dragon is doubly protected with a smooth shield fabric covering for a reassured quality of dive experience.
The Dragon boasts of a first in the introduction of the Mechanical Weight Release system that allows divers to release their weight systems with just a pull. This ingenious introduction has brought more ease to the scuba diving adventure of both professional and recreational diver alike.
All the pockets on the Mares Dragon are designed to form around the waist of the diver, and they possess a large zipper for easy insertion and withdrawal of things even when under water. They can carry a maximum weight load of 13 lbs. (6 kg), so you don’t have to worry about not having a place for all your accessories and spares.
The Dragon has two rear trim weight pockets holding up to10 lbs. (4.5 kg) total. These pockets are positioned in the lower part of the BCD for better upright body efficiency at the surface, and a more streamlined profile. Back Protection System (BPS Plus) patented dual position lumbar capability. Heavily padded in either position, you can double the padding for increased lumbar support or extend the length of the padding depending on body shape for ultimate pre-dive comfort.
Further on the importance of comfort to the diver, the Dragon comes with its own independent harness which allows the air bladder to inflate away from the diver thus eliminating the crushing effect experienced in most BCD’s that have fixed harnesses. Elastic cummerbund secures the BCD in place and adjusts for wetsuit compression at depth. QAS-Quick Adjust System, change the length of the cummerbund for a better customized fit. A neoprene padded collar and internal plush lining also add comfort.
Whatever your desire in a buoyancy compensator, you will find the Mares Dragon a worthy fit for it.
52 lbs. (23.6 kg) XXS/XS: 31.5 lbs. (14.3 kg), Medium: 38.2 lbs. (17.4 kg), Large: 42.7 lbs. (19.4 kg), XL: 49.46 lbs. (22.5 kg)
Two Rear Dump/Over Pressure Relief/Inflator Pull Dump
Torso Adjustable With Squeeze-Style Side-Release Buckles
Two Large Zipper-Pockets
Stainless Steel Rings
Five Pre-Bent Rings
Elastic Cummerbund, Waist Strap w/Squeeze-Style” Side Release Buckles
Adjustable With Squeeze-Style Side-Release Buckle
Ergo Power Inflator
420 Cordura Nylon, Polyurethane, AISI 304 Stainless Steel
Releasable: 26 lbs. (12 kg), Non-Releasable: 10 lbs. (4.5 kg)
- Excellent buoyancy, even when using a drysuit or very thick wetsuit, hydrodynamic, and covered in plush for use with light wetsuits.
- With the BPS lumbar support system for top-notch comfort before the dive.
- MRS Plus Integrated Weight Pockets fitted as standard
- Rear Trim Weights holding up to 4.5kg/10lbs total.
- Elastic cummerbund and neoprene padded collar
- Interior plush lined.
- Shoulder straps to relieve pressure on the shoulders.
- Adjustable chest strap
- Two rear quick dump/over-expansion relief valves
- Dual position hose clip for your gauges
- Weight Guide: Size Large – Approx 4kg
- Lift: 140N(XXS-XS); 170N (M); 190N(L); 220N(XL)
- Mares Dragon BCD with MRS Plus Weight Pockets
- Jacket Style BC
- 3D Alutex Protection
- MRS Plus Weight System: 13 lbs. (6 kg) Capacity Each Pocket (Size Large)
- Trim Pockets 10 lbs. (4.5 kg)
- Maximum Lift: 44 lbs. (20 kg), Size Large
- 2 Zippered Pockets
- Ergo Inflator with 3/8″ Threaded LP Hose
- 420 Cordura Nylon/Polyurethane Construction
- Five AISI 304 Stainless Steel D-Rings
- Elastic Cummerbund
- Neoprene Padded Collar
- Interior Plush Lined
- Two Rear Quick-Dump/Over-Expansion Relief Valves
- Grommets for Mares Force Knife Collection
- Adjustable Chest Strap
- Shoulder Straps Relieve Shoulder Pressure
- All Straps Equipped w/”Squeeze-Style” Side-Release Buckles
- Dual Position Gauge Hose Clip
- Safety Whistle
- BPS System
back to menu ↑
Pros and Cons
- Jacket Style BCD
- 3D Alutex for protection, abrasion resistance
- Air Cell is made from (420) Cordura denier
- Shoulder strap design relieves pressure
- Single intuitive control to inflate & deflate
- Presence of Air Trim Inflator
- Integrated Weight System sometimes suffer glitches
The assurance of comfort is a potent influencing factor in selecting a choice BCD for Scuba diving. With the Mares Dragon, a diver is given a reinforced assurance of comfort and excellent utility by all standards.