Hollis SMS 100 Side Mount Buoyancy Control Review
In this Hollis SMS 100 Review, we will be examining the qualities and features of the SMS BCD to its fullest capacity. The Hollis SMS is a side mount harness type that exudes dynamism and versatility. All things being equal, it has a good level of ability for use in open water diving as well as it does for wreck and cave diving.
As a side mount, the Hollis SMS allows divers to conveniently strap the tanks to their sides with the harness while leaving enough room for flexibility and robust dive options. This has largely been fancied by many professional and recreational divers the world over.
Side mount diving, as seen in the Hollis SMS, is the technique of configuring one or two cylinders on either side of a divers’ body, as opposed to strapping it on the back – back mounting. Tanks can be attached on or near the water, providing much less stress on the body. With the Hollis SMS, divers have the regulator and gauge being totally independent of each other, creating a fully redundant air supply, with the added advantage that the first stages are within full sight at the diver’s side.
The Hollis SMS is also equipped with so many stainless steel D-rings that divers can attach a large number of extra necessities while keeping them close for easy reach during a dive session. The presence of so much D-Rings ensures that divers have everything they need while diving at arm’s length. Everything you’re your dive light, camera, knives, etc. can be hooked on the D-Rings accessible right when you need them.
This bulletproof constructed system allows divers using it to have full visibility of their gear at any time. This means that diver can perform gas checks/management, configure-and-monitors all of the gauges, valves and hoses without assistance. All these and more are what the Hollis SMS delivers.
It is also designed to reduce the need for additional gear: doubles bands/hardware/manifold – benefit when traveling, aids in transporting gear to and from the beach or boat – one tank at a time. This includes exiting the water on a boat dive. The system streamlines profile which in turn reduces drag increasing your bottom time.
For its fabric material, the Hollis SMS is made of bulletproof constructed wing which employs the use of 1000-Denier Cordura Nylon with a Polyurethane Lamination Outer Shell & 15mm Urethane Internal Bladder. Everything from the design to the structure and weight of this BCD is intended to reduce divers drag while providing the required buoyancy for a great dive session. The SMS 100 side-mount system comes with 1 Low Pressure 3/8 inches threaded quick-disconnect hoses (or 2 with Redundant Dual Wing), Owner’s Manual and is covered by a 24-month limited warranty.
The SMS has a doughnut-shaped body that makes it easier to get air to migrate to the dump-valve when a diver needs to jettison it on an ascent. This is another of the instance of the Hollis SMS being an ingenious and highly dynamic scuba diving BCD. When fully inflated, the SMS 100 will give nearly 24kg of lift.
Dual Package: 11.9 lb
Back Inflator Side-Mount System
52 lbs. (23.6 kg)
1 or 2 Pull Dumps / Overpressure Release Valves
Torso Adjustable With Squeeze-Style Side-Release Buckles
Stainless Steel Rings
7 Pre-Bent Rings
2inches (5Cm) Nylon Webbing With Stainless Steel “Latch-Style” And Integrated Crotch Strap
Adjustable With Squeeze-Style Side-Release Buckle
1 Or 2-Hollis Gear Power Inflator Mechanism
Outer Bag: 1000-Denier Cordura, Inner Bladder: 15Ml Urethane, Harness: Nylon Webbing And 316-Marine-Grade Stainless Steel, Plastic
Single Package: 11.05 lb,
Dual Package: 11.9 lb
- Complete versatility of the system – with this harness you can use a single or twin side mount, rear mounted singles and rebreathers.
- 360-degree wing (single or double wing options are available)
- Upper/Lower can band slots for rear tank mounts
- 1000 Denier Cordura with PU lamination outer shell – This harness should last you through years of diving.
- 15mm Urethane Internal Bladder
- Lower relief valve
- Removable elastic bungee system
- 2 Dump Valves
- Fully flexible back plate
- Suitable for: Side Mounting Twin or Single Cylinders, also for Re-Breathers or Rear Mounted Singles
- Bulletproof Constructed System Allows Full Visibility Over-your-Gear
- Diver Can Perform Gas Checks/Management, Configure-and-Monitors All Gauges, Valves, and Hoses w/o Assistance
- Streamlined Profile: Reduces Drag, Increasing Bottom Time
- Harness: 6-Stainless Steel D-Rings on Padded Shoulder Straps, 4-Pre-Bent for Accessory Attachment
- Stainless Steel Latch-Style” Waist Buckle with Adjustable Crotch Strap
- All Hardware Manufactured from 316- Marine-Grade” Stainless Steel
- 360° Degree Elastic Bungee System (removable) Wing
- 52lbs (23.6kg) of Lift Capacity
- Centrally-Located Inflator Mechanism Elbow(s): Avoid Tank Valve/Regulator Interference
- Lower Left Pull Dump/Overpressure Relief Valve (on Single Wing)
- Lower Left and Right Pull Dump/Overpressure Relief Valves (Dual Wing)
- 3/8″ Threaded Low-Pressure Quick-Disconnect Hose(s)
back to menu ↑
Pros and Cons
- Versatile but ideal for side mount cave divers
- Ideal for open water to overhead environment
- For side mounting twin/single cylinders
- Centrally located inflator mechanism elbows
- Hollis power inflator system
- Relatively bulky for recreational dives
The Hollis SMS 100 takes the side-mount BCD system to a whole new level of sophistication with its bullet-proof outer fabric and multi-dimensional design. The diver who knows what he/she wants in a side-mount should strongly consider the SMS 100.